Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

Last week, I became a British Citizen (ex-South African) at

Customer Question

Last week, I became a British Citizen (ex-South African) at a ceremony in Abergavenny, Wales. I am busy completing my application form for a British Passport. However, I do not have my parents marriage cirtificate. My father was born in Germany in 1901 and was South African, and my mother was born in Germany in 1912 and was also a South African. I am 61 years old. The passport application form question no 4 asks for details of my parents and a section asks "if both parents were born abroad, we will also need the name etc of grandparents. This is impossible....both grandparents were born sometime in 1800 and died when my parents were still young. How will this hinder my application?
Many thanks - - Sylvia Newson
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

The only real option you have is to explain the position at page 3 under the additional information section. The likelihood is you'll be asked to attend an interview to clarify the position but ultimately this shouldn't cause too many difficulties once you have given an explanation. You cannot, of course, provide documents that you do not have.

I hope this helps.