12826847

I have given one months notice to leave my rented house and

Customer Question

I have given one months notice to leave my rented house and my landlord is trying to make me pay for a week after I leave. I am on a rolling contract that finished in May this year and in July he put my rent up by £25 which I have paid although this was never put in writing or ever contracted. He has never made repairs since I lived here and the gas safety check was very dodgey too. I had a leak in the bathroom for a year, the house is mouldy, the wooden frames in the kitchen are rotten and the fire doesn't work. He has a shed in the garden that he stored his own wood in and dumped rubbish behind it, the door on the shed doesn't close so this caused a rat infestation. We have a large hive in the attic he wouldn't see to and the front garden wall is rotten and collapsing. We also found house keys hidden under our front door mat.

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I want to know what my rights are and if I am going to have to pay this extra money that he wants. I want to know where I can turn to get help. I want to ensure that I get my deposit back or know what to do if I don't. I want to know that given the circumstances do I need to pay him anything at all. Our water is metered and we worked out that over the year that leak cost us over £125

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also I find him to be very manipulative and as a single mother of 5 and having suffered terrible abuse most of my life from men I feel very vulnerable. He is using emotional blackmail with me to make me feel that I am responsible for paying his mortgage on this property. I had to leave my job when cuts to help for childcare for working parents were made and I can't afford to feed my children let alone pay for things that I haven't even had :-(

Thank you for this information. I am just on my way to court and will get back to you as soon as I arrive. Thank you for your patience.