12826847

From Feb 2009 until Nov 2011 I was involved in a relationship

Customer Question

From Feb 2009 until Nov 2011 I was involved in a relationship and lived with my then partner.
In January 2012 I was contacted again by my ex partner as I believd in an attempt to retrieve the relationship

In April my then girlfriend asked if I would attend the National Nurses Conference in Harrogate with her. At that time I told her that I would and would pay for the accomodation ( £265 ) .She told me that she would try and claim this back from her employer .iIhave since found out that the accomodation was paid for by cheque from her employer which she knew would be the case prior to me offering to pay.
I have also found out that from the outset it was her intention to seek "revenge" for the breakdown of the relationship.I should point out that in the later stages of the relationship due to my struggling business she had supported me. However in Dec 2011 my aunt died and left me an amount of money which my ex girlfriend was aware of.
As a final note the relationship had broken down once before in 2010 for a short period with her stating the reasons being financial.She has 4 children and I stated from the outset that I would not support them as their father was responsible.
I do not need the money but I do fell very angry that her intention was not to retrieve the relationship but to gain financially. Could this be a case of deception and has she commited a case of fraud re her employers.
How much in total has she taken?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

During the period we were in her words " building the relationship" it is difficult to estimate or say as on every occassion we met I paid.

During the week we spent in Harrogate the amount was approximately £500 ( inc accomodation ) .I say approximately as there were some items e.g. coffee etc that were solely for myself

Why did you agree to pay?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FOR JOMO1972

The simple answer is because of my feelings towards her and my belief that the week would benefit the relationship and also that she told me that she had no spare money other than that which she earned and existed on.

I also believed that we were building a relationship.

At the time of going to Harrogate I believed that she didnt know if she would get expenses.It was only after the relationship ended that I contacted the Apartment owners to ask how payment was made having been told by her friend how it had been paid.

Its not really clear what exactly has happened here.

Its certainly not an act of fraud against her employers. They paid for accommodation. They agreed to do that and did so.

The very highest point that this could amount to is a fraud against you but that would depend on the exact conversation here. She will probably say that you agreed to pay for something of your own volition and you do seem to confirm that.

I'm afraid that the fact that she had vengeful motives does not turn something that was a gift into a loan or an act of fraud.

The plain truth is that she shouldn't have let you pay for it anyway morally. A good woman is one who puts money on the table. However, you did agree to pay at least for some of the cost and the fact that she should have offered to make an equal contribution is not a ground to argue this was fraud.