Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

Hi, I bought a piece of land in Hertfordshire as an investment

Customer Question

I bought a piece of land in Hertfordshire as an investment in 2007 for £14000. The deal was to complete the payment with installments over 4 years.

I completed all the payments in March 2011 and because I had some late payments I paid £512 to the limited company for late payment fines. Also I paid all the fees for the maintenance and solicitor to transfer the ownership of the land plot to me through land Registry.

During the time until now after my completion of payment (21 months), I am still chasing the company to do their job and transfer the ownership. Every time they say they are sorry with excuses and they will do it next week and nothing has been done after nearly 2 years.
I have made more than 200 calls during this time and most of the time they don’t answer the phone. This has caused so much stress to my life and my family in the past 2 years and I’m still really worried.

They are a limited company in the UK.

My question:
- Do I have a case against them?
- What sort of legal action I can take against them?
- What are the likely costs (lawyer, court & etc) of taking legal action against them?
- Is it likely to be successful so I can claim some of the damages and possible interests for keeping my money and not doing anything?
- How can I take this forward?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Was a solicitor involved?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Their solicitor yes. Then about 4-5 months ago they told me their solicitor is changed. Now there is a different solicitor. I have the details for both solicitors.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Did you have solicitors? Did you get undertaking from the sellers solicitors to give you the transfer deed on completion/payment?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Well I paid for the solicitor, but I guess this is the land investment company's solicitor taking the documents from them to register with the ownership with Land Registry.

I was in touch with the previous solicitor but they said they are not taking care of this work anymore and they gave the details for the new solicitor.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Did you have your own solicitors? Did you get undertaking from the sellers solicitors to give you the transfer deed on completion/payment?

Ignore that fact that there are now new solicitors. Was there a contract?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. I think I paid for their solicitor fees.

We signed a contract at the beginning of between me and their company.

I don't understand what you mean by "Did you get undertaking from the sellers solicitors to give you the transfer deed on completion/payment?"

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

It is normal conveyancing procedure. Do you mean you dont know if you had solicitor yourself or not or did you do it all yourself?

A solicitor would have got an undertaking to let you have the transfer deed on payment.

Write to the solicitors telling them that unless they let you have the Transfer Deed by return, you will issue legal proceedings for a court order for specific performance of the contract (let you have the transfer deed).

Remember that you then have to do Stamp Duty Land Tax return and then register the transfer at Land Registry.

Can I help further?

Please bear with me today because I will be
online and off-line

Please don't forget to positively rate my
answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow
up any further points you raise for free. If you don't rate it positively, then
the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. If in ratings you feel that
you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask me for further info
before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and
answer.

The thread remains open. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Other.
All of the above.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

For some reason which I cannot quite figure out, you have re-listed the question.

What further information do you require?