hi wonder if you can help me i keep getting letters and phone

Customer Question

hi wonder if you can help me i keep getting letters and phone calls constantly from a company called equidebt saying i owe them money,its do with woolwich account i have contacted them saying i dont owe anyone any money when i asked them what the money is for and to send me documented proof that i owe this money,they just say they dont have any documents and dont know what it is for and that they will be passing this account onto a company called CAS credit ancillary services please can you help

How can I help with this?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

for jomo1972 just wanted your advice on what i should do to stop them keep harassing me about this account they dont have any details they just keep saying i owe it and my details will passed to the CAS

It depends what you want to achieve really. The truth is that there is no real effective way of preventing a company from contacting you for debt collection purposes. Even if they are wrong in law that doesn't mean that their actions are unlawful. There is a debate over whether or not debt collection can amount to harassment but the truth is that I think a Court would probably say this type of debt collection does not. Also, its difficult to quantify the loss anyway as a Court is likely to say that having to speak to them and explain that you do not owe the money does not amount to loss.

There is a very simple way to get rid of them on the phone that I can tell you about if you'd like? That isn't really what you asked about and it doesn't stop them phoning you back but it does get rid of them.

The only real question anyway is whether they can make you pay the sums. They would need to seek a court order to do so and then you could defend on the basis that you know nothing about the debt.

The risk is that they may add a default to your credit rating instead of suing. If that were to happen then you could lodge a notice of dispute though and complain to the ICO as that is just plain wrong. That would be your best chance of getting any form of compensation although even then you would have to show loss.

I'm very sorry but thats your position and I have give you truthful information. Happy to continue with this but please remember to rate my answer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
how can i get rid of them on the phone?
You do realise this will not stop them phoning back?