UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I wanted to inquire if the following sponsorship demands are

Customer Question

I wanted to inquire if the following sponsorship demands are legal.

I would like to give presentation at a scientific conference where researchers from academia and industry present their results. I was told by the organizers that I have to raise 15,000£ sponsorship money for them in order to be given this opportunity. According to them, this is their company-wide policy they apply to everyone who has affiliations outside of academia. It's based on the fact that my company would benefit from me giving a presentation, even though this is a personal research.

Now my friend, who works for another company with similar affiliation is allowed to present and was not asked to raise any sponsorship money at all. I know that's due to recommendation by someone who often given presentations at these conferences. I.e. it would qualify as a scientific ground.

I accept it is fair to accept / reject presentation based on the scientific grounds. I also accept the company-wide policy to demand sponsorship from non-academic institutions.

My difficulty is that I'm being presented with entirely different demands compared to another person in the same circumstances. This does look like some kind of discrimination or financial fraud - or am I wrong? Their webpage does not provide any details or policies (even the company - wide policy they claim to have). I would appreciate some clarity on this.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

SO they want to charge you £15k to present this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes they do. And they have barely asked what I would be presenting about.

Is this legal - I am sorry to say yes.

They can decide to accept or reject whoever they want to present.

In these circumstances they can set their own terms.

That means if they want to charge £15k then that is a matter for them and in law there is nothing you can do.

I know this seems unfair and morally it is, but legally they are doing nothing wrong.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are looking for but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would have expected that the same rules would apply to money matters, but obviously not.

Welcome.

I am sorry.

Please remember to give my answer a good rating - although I know it is not the answer you want.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice