UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I am thinking of creating a website where members of the public

Customer Question

I am thinking of creating a website where members of the public can post negative reviews and photographic examples of tradespersons' shoddy workmanship. What guidelines should I follow to avoid any risk of a libel claim, both for myself and those posting on the website?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

You need to make sure that users post factually correct.

If not then the user could be sued and you could for facilitating it.

If someone has not done work you can not, for example call them a thief. You can say that they have not done the work.

As for users I assume they will have to create a login. In your terms make sure you exclude liability wherever possible so you are not sued.

Also have a disclaimer on the site saying that the posts do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the site owner.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice