UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

is there a Coogans law alternative in the UK?

Customer Question

is there a Coogan's law alternative in the UK?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

I am sorry to say no.

Unless it is in the contract to say otherwise child actors can spend their earnings,

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

Coogan's law in US was introduced to solve the problem of child actor's parents spending their earnings so now when the child enters into a contract parents have to open an account and put a fraction of earnings there for the child to use when he reaches maturity.

Therefore, I was wondering if in UK there is a system to ensure that parents do not spend all the child's money before he is 18 and if not, why not and how do we ensure that it does not happen. Wouldn't Coogan's law work in UK?

As such no.

But if when signing the contract it may be stated that the money went into trust.

If the parents spent itin the uk it would be theft anyway,

So I guess indirectly it is protected.

I hope that clarifies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How can it be theft if a child is minor, his earnings belong to parents anyways.

No, it would belong to the child.

The child money is the child's money.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can't find the authority for that anywhere. Where does it say so?

Theft act
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
The expert gives one word replies which are not backed by any authority
To to be fair you asked for low detail and low urgency answer.

I gave you the act, what else would you like to know?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I asked for medium detail but my question is quite specific. Theft act does not state that child's earnings belong to him. As he is a minor I am sure parents can spend his money.

No.

Acts in the uk prohibit matters unless said otherwise.

Theft as is appropriation property belonging to another with intention to permently deprive.

That is theft and the offence is made out,

It does not exclude people under 18 and therefore applies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but I am sure that in US appropriation of property belonging to another is also theft. However, Coogan's parents were not prosecuted for theft. Hence, why the Coogan's law was introduced. Unles, I am completely missing the point.

It doesn't click in my head that there is no clear system in the UK. It's probably because we don't have that many cases about child performers but there is not clear explanation to whether parents can spend child's earnings and whether a child can spend the money he earns.

You are asking question of uk expert.

I can only tell you the uk law system, not USA.

This is the position in the uk.

You can't spend a child earnings in the uk

UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, unfortunately it didn't.

Ok, thanks for letting me know