Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm

I wish to bring in a lady from Ghana with a view to marriage

Customer Question

I wish to bring in a lady from Ghana with a view to marriage and the UK border agency site seems extremely complicated. Can you advise.
Or would it be better for me to go to Ghana, get married and then bring her home as my wife.
Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

How long have you known this lady?

Are you employed? What is your income?

Where will you live?

Does she have any university qualifications?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have known this lady for several months and have been to Ghana to see her. I am employed and have a steady income of around £20,000 per year but have just inherited an estate of approx £450,000. We will live at my current address which isXXXXX Luton LU4 9EW

No university qualifications that I am aware of although she has done some training in the world of beauty (cosmetics, hair, etc) and wishes to earn her own way when here if possible.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. That information is helpful. Please tell me have you made ANY applications yet or have you just sought some verbal advice?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just advice from yourself Alex, I just wanted to know what the procedures are and what pifalls are likely to be put in my way..............and of course, how long does it all take.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

It is really a matter for you whether you wish to apply for a fiance visa and marry in the UK or to marry in Ghana and apply for a spouse visa.

Either way both you and your partner will have to satisfy UK Border Agency of the following basic requirements:

-you and your partner must be aged 18 or over at the date of application;
-your partner must not be related to you in a way that means you could not marry in UK law;
-you and your partner must have met in person;
-if married, then the marriage must be recognised in UK law
-your relationship must be genuine and subsisting;
-she must be seeking entry to the UK to allow your marriage or civil partnership to take place or to live with your permanently
-you must meet the financial requirements
-she must meet the English language requirement.

Genuine and subsisting relationship mean, for example: you are in a current, long-term relationship or are living together with your partner or share responsibility with your partner for any children.

The financial requirement is that you must be able to support your partner and have a minimum income of £18,400.

The English language requirement is that: either she is a national of a majority English-speaking country; or have passed an English language test approved by us at the appropriate level (commonly known as ESOL); or hold a degree that was taught in English and is equivalent to a UK bachelor's degree or above.

Which ever application you decide to make these are the basics that have to be fulfilled.

I am attaching a link to UKBA which gives further information about the fees and processing times and the correct forms to be used. If you decide to marry in Ghana and then apply for a spouse visa there is a link to that section too.

I hope this helps you.

Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I were to use the services of an immigration solicitor to assist me in this process, would it make the job easier and how much, roughly, would it be likely to cost me.

Expert:  Alice H replied 3 years ago.

The fees do vary.

My firm charges £120 - £150 per hour.

Normally we can deal with an application for £750 plus VAT plus Home Office fee.

So I think you would expect to spend round £1,500 plus VAT for a straightforward application.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you Alex.

So I would expect to have to pay the thick end of £2000

It would be worth it if it made the process quicker and more or less guaranteed success though.

Doing it without legal assistance is complex and looks as if it would take around 3 months especially as the lady concerned is very worried about having to try and deal with the application on her own. Although she does speak fairly good English she doesn't understand what she is required to do or how she has to do it..

Communication is not that good as most of it has to be done via a social media application (Yahoo or Skype) and phone calls are not reliable or very clear.

Thank you again for your advice.