Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

Can a beneficiary under a Will disclaim his legacy in order

Customer Question

Can a beneficiary under a Will disclaim his legacy in order to retain his means tested benefits? The legacy would take him over the capital thresholds for the benefits but I am not clear whether disclaiming the legacy or executing a Deed of Variation so that the legacy was placed on discretionary trust would be viewed by the DWP as a deliberate deprivation of capital so that he would be considered to have notional capital when calculating his entitlement to Pension Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Benefit.

What is the relevant section of statute or regulation or case law?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
How much is the legacy?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

£20,000

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. The DWP will say that this is a deliberate dissipation of funds/deprivation of assets to avoid disclosing them to DWP and they will be taken into account anyway.

To fail to disclose the legacy is probably benefit fraud.

Sorry

Please don't forget to positively rate myanswer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear) and I will followup any further points you raise for free. If you don't rate it positively, then
the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. If in ratings you feel that
you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask me for further info
before rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and
answer.
The thread remains open. Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In my question I asked for the statutory basis and/or case law as authority for the answer. Kindly advise.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that researching caselaw is beyond the scope of what I do on here. Barristers charge £250 per hour plus vat for that work. I just happen to know the law. I will opt out for another expert in case he/she has it off top of her head