UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

Hello, I need some advice on my tax status. I am a British

Customer Question

Hello, I need some advice on my tax status.
I am a British citizen, but for the past 2 years I have been living and working in Switzerland on contract.
I pay all my taxes in Switzerland. I have a 5 year work permit there, but am considering returning after April 2013.
I didn't tell the UK tax office that I left the UK to work abroad so I am not sure of my legal status when I return (would I be in trouble for this?) Apparently there's a P85 form to complete to declare I've left the UK, which i haven't done.. I have been out of the UK November 2010.

I also own a flat in the UK that I have pay a mortgage on (but don't rent out). I recently stated that this is my 2nd home on the Electoral roll.

Should I complete the P85 tax form even though I'm thinking of coming back in May 2012? Is there anything else I need to do?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

You should inform HMRC you are out of the Country. You should do this asap even if you are coming back in May 2013 (I assume not 2012).

This is because the new tax year starts in April.

As such you wont be double taxed, so if you have been living abroad and paying tax there, then you wont be taxed again on that income as a UK national.

So inform HMRC - it should not change anything in the UK as you do not rent your house out.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Thanks for the reply, so I won't be in any trouble for not completing the form during the past 2 years (I have the form now so I can send that off next week)?

Also, what about savings, I have been sending money back to my UK bank account each month, but there's no interest on that account (0.1% or something), does that cause any problems?

Lastly, I come back to the UK every couple of months and have been seeing the doctor for prescription medication, is that legal?

No, because no tax would be due.

Only if you had income in the UK would you needed to declare it.

If you have been sending money back to the UK then again as long as tax has been paid abroad then you would not be double taxed.

Yes you are entitled to free medical care in the UK.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok, thank you, that has helped put my mind at rest. Yes, all the money I've earned is taxed in Switzerland.

Sorry, I have one more question. The money I have transferred from my Swiss account to my UK account, am I legally allowed to earn interest on it in a savings account, or do I have to open an offshore account?

Thanks for your help and have a Happy New Year.

Yes this is fine.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice