UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

Can a supplier based in Dubai charge a uk business late payment

Customer Question

Can a supplier based in Dubai charge a uk business 'late payment fees' ? I thought legislation only covered European countries?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE so that I am credited for my time.

Is the agreement government by UK Law?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Umm I dont believe there is any kind of agreement - it is just a customer / supplier relationship. I think it highly unlikely as the company are based in Dubai, although we do pay a Swiss bank account?

A fee can be levied but this must in proprotion to the work done.

For example they can charge per letter or per call.

But any fees must be reasonable.

If they are not reasonable then they can be a penalty and in the UK penalties are illegal.

Further in order to charge any fees, these must have been agreed or permitted for in the contract.

If the contract is silent - then no they can not be charged.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The company in question appear to be charging an interest on late payment - that is what the invoice says - pretty much the same as if it was a UK or European company - so I am assuming (in the absence of a specific contract) that they cannot do this? - Just clarifying! thanks.

Correct.