12826847

hi i took on my first business running a pub in october 2011

Customer Question

hi i took on my first business running a pub in october 2011 and within 2/3 the council wanted £3000 OF ME FOR BUSINESS RATES,but ive been told by numerous people that if someone starts a new business they get there rates free for a year is this so,as ive had to find money for that and also had to find £6000 for the second year and had the baliffs in
Where is the business based and what is its rough turnover?

I am just travelling home so don't panic if I don't respond immediately. I will be able to pick this up soon.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the business is sheringham,norfolk and i turn over roughly 1000-15000 a week

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

need to pay £2663 what is left today or baliff is back,phoned council again and got answer machine.need to no if im in the right or i will have to pay them

I'm afraid you do not have an automatic right to be free from business rates in the first year of trading. There was a petition to achieve exactly that which gathered pace in about 2010 but it didn't achieve much.

However, you can apply for business rate relief. If you are outside London then you have to show that your rateable value is less than £18,000 a year.

There are some other exemptions for empty properties but clearly that doesn't apply here. You will find a list here

https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-business-rate-relief/exempted-buildings-and-empty-buildings-relief

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.