13262538

Following a divorce in 2010 I am making periodical payments

Customer Question

Following a divorce in 2010 I am making periodical payments to my ex-wife. I have received notice of redundancy effective from 31st March 2013 so clearly my circumstances are likely to change. How do I request a modification to the payments? Is my redundancy payment at risk?

Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name isXXXXX will do whatever I can to answer your question.
For clarity is this spouse or child maintenance
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is spousal maintenance - no children involved.

Many thanks.

How much will you receive by way of redundancy and what maintenance are you currently paying
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The redundancy payment is likely to be about £7,000-£8,000. No amount has been specified yet. Current periodic payments are £375 pcm.

What other income do you each have?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My ex-wife is over 60, so presumably receives the state pension. I don't know if she works or not. She owns her house outright (she was given sole ownership of the matrimonial home in the settlement).

My salary at the moment is £46,000, but that will of course cease very shortly (31st March). I am also in the TA, which generates about £3,000 of net income per year. I have no savings and own do not own property. i have debts of roughly £20,000 which I pay roughly £700 per month towards - these were debts accrued during the marriage on joint expenditure (car, overdrafts run up on living expenses etc).

John

You can apply to vary the existing order using a Form A and paying the fee of £240.
The form you need is here
http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/form-a-eng.pdf
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much. If my ex-wife's circumstances changed significantly (she found a job, moved in with a new partner etc) is she obliged to tell me? The basis for the payments was that she had no realistic prospect of finding work.

She does not have to tell you about changes generally - but as part of the process of your application she will have to disclose her current financial position!
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

That's great, thank you very much!

You are most welcome - good luck
Claire