13262538

hi my son is 12,hes never seen his dad as hes been in and out

Customer Question

hi my son is 12,hes never seen his dad as hes been in and out of prison for 12 years.he was on heroin and robbed places etc.for 11 months hes been out on a rehabilitation scheme and wants contact.what rights does he have?i have no trust
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question.
What has the father actually asked for?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Asked to start seeing him

How often and where?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nothings been mentioned yet,I said deal with it after christmas.my son wants to but 11 months ent that long

So your son wants to see his father - but you understandably have concerns?
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes he wants to.its been 12 years and have no trust.what rights does he have?

Your son has the right to contact with both parents and your ex has the right to apply to the court for a contact order.
However you are right to have concerns and to wish to ensure that your son is safe.
On that basis you could offer to discuss contact with your ex using Family mediation - preferably with a mediator trained also to work with young people.
It is not unreasonable for you to want to be sure that your ex will be committed to contact - not just start and stop - and that it will be safe.
Using a local contact centre as a safe place to start contact again for a couple of hours once a month could be a good way forward
Claire