Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I have had my motor policy cancelled with Churchill on the

Customer Question

I have had my motor policy cancelled with Churchill on the understanding that I had two policies covering the same vehicle. I was told this over the phone when my car was side swiped on my near side by one Churchills clients a Mr Lawrence who I did not see at the time as I was in the middle of traffic,as it happens the collision was witnessed by two police officers that later informed me I obtained all the relevant informaition from them and informed Churcill,being told I had two policies I carried on driving for about two without any cover, I have never ever cancelled any motor policy.I would say that I believe Churchill knew that Mr Lawrence was 100% responsible for this and therefore cancelled my policy in order to save having to reimbursed me of the £750 excess on my policy I have tried getting in contact on many occastions only the be fobbed off to yet another department, with no satisfaction
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Do you have a specific question? Why did you have two policies? Can we have all the background details please? Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As far as was aware I only had one policy I was told by Churcill that I had two! and was coherst in surrendering my policy.

I have been with Churcill for two years with no problems other than mentioned, I have the maximum no claims and conceder to be very carefull driver.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

If you only thought that you had one policy I cannot see how you can become worst into surrendering one.

What exactly would you like to know about this?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I never had two policies I was led to believe that I had in order for them to have me return the insurance certificate .

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

So you are saying that they lied, they said you had to policies
and therefore you must return the certificate so that they could cancel the "extra"
policy.

You did not have two policies and they used this to trick you into
cancelling the only policy you actually had so that they could avoid paying
your claim? Is that what you are saying?

Is this after the accident?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I find that very hard to believe but I accept what you say. There
are two issues here. The accident and the policy. The accident happened before
you cancelled the policy, they are still under a duty to honour the claim.

Regarding the policy cancellation, clearly this was done under
mistake based upon their misrepresentation. Don't try to deal with this on the
phone. Put everything in writing on good old-fashioned paper, in an envelope,
with a stamp on it. Head the letter "formal complaint" and say exactly what you
want to happen and tell them that unless you get a satisfactory response within
14 days, you will refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman without further
notice. On the 15th day, write giving precise details, to the
financial ombudsman.

I will tell you that the Ombudsman is extremely fair, but is not
quick.

Can I help further?

The
next part is really important for me:

Please
don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was not what you
wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise for free. If
you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for
my time. If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a
little, please ask me for further info before rating me negatively otherwise I
don't get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open, it does not close. Thanks