UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

My problem is with NPower (Electricity supplier) I am a self

Customer Question

My problem is with NPower (Electricity supplier) I am a self employed sole trader. I deliver newspapers to houses. I rented a small Council Starter Unit in 2006 to 'sort' the 'papers and work at the unit from 0400 to 0600 hours every day. NPower never sent a bill untill November 2011 (and didnt read the meter). The bill was the result of a meter reading and the bill £28000.00 !!. I disputed the bill, saying it was impossible for 4 strip lights, a fridge and a kettle to use that much electricity in two hours per day. They installed a tandem meter to check the old meter and said the bill was correct. Durind the 12 Months we have been in dispute the meter readings were recorded and the resulting useage shows £500.00 worth of power used from February to November 2011. Clearly there is somthing wrong with their £28000.00 bill !!
I have been in constant communication with NPower during the year and they are now offering a 20 percent reduction of the bill and time to pay, I consider the whole bill to be wrong. I am now being threatened with court proceedings. Also, in my research I have come across references to a 2 year maximum rule regarding the retrospective request for power supply accounts, (does this rule apply to me in my capacity as i am NOT a Ltd company) and also a reference to 'Micro users', also with a restriction on the time that suppliers can go back in time. Yours Sincerely. John Pickford
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Have they applied for a warrant yet?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I vacated the unit in November 2012.

NPower entered the unit after I that date, and disconnected the supply.

I am now receiving correspondence at my home address but have never given them information regarding that address (Possibly given them by the local authority, landlord of the unit)

Thanks - and there are no other Court proceedings?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No court proceedings so far, only a standard letter threat

18th December 2012 letter from Legal Dept Recovery.

11 January 2013 a letter from Serious arrears team, headed..................Notification of collection proceedings.

Thanks,

You need to write and set out your position and that you will not be bullied.

They must give you time if you dispute the bill.

If they refuse then you can complain to the regulator.

They are free, indpendent and can investigate your complaint for free.

They can be found at:

www.ofgem.gov.uk/

But do not be bullied - if it went to Court they would have to show you own the WHOLE amount of the bill.

They can't - this means they would lose the claim.

As such complain first to head office and then OFGEM.

I realise that this is stressful and hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks so far. Two direct questions;

1. Can I claim to be a 'micro business' as i am a sole trader delivering newspapers ?

2. Does the '2 year rule', (on the length of time energy companies can go back in time to charge customers for unbilled usage) relate to domestic customers only, or do I qualify for a maximum 2 year claw back.

Thanks for your help, Hope thats it !!

John Pickford

A. Yes

B. That is domestic only I am sorry to say......

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice