UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

We are a private tenant in a 3 bedroom house. We have many

Customer Question

We are a private tenant in a 3 bedroom house. We have many issues in our house which are as follows:

- There is severe dampness everywhere and we can even provide pictures too.
- The roof of the main reception fell down on my wife and she had to stay in hospital for almost 6 hours.
- 4 children ( all under sixteen ) are facing breathing problems.

Please advise us if can we take any legal action against our landlord and if so; what kind of?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

What type of tenancy do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Thanks - you complained to the Council yet?

How long have you been there?

Did you not see the state of the property when you viewed it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we did complain them but no action has been taken.

We've been living here for last 2 years.

Yes we did but the state wasn't very bad because the landlord recently did the whitewash. And just after 3 months dampness started to appear in the house.

Ok - well with the Council you should complain to the Chief Exec Office.

They can investigate your complaint and see if the matter was handled correctly.

If you have photos send those in too.

The Council, if appropriate can make the Council carry out work - if he refuses they can get a Court order, do the work and bill the Landlord.

This of course is free but takes time.

Second option is to get a surveyor report of the property. This would cost about £500.

But then a copy can be sent to the Landlord and ask him to remedy the defects say within 14 days or say you will go to Court.

If he refuses then you can sue for damages, breach of contract and distress caused.

You would then be able to use the expert report in Court and if win, those costs returned to you.

You could also seek a reduction on rent, damages for distress and compensation for living in those conditions.

For this you would need a Solicitor and I would suggest seeing Citizens Advice to see if they can help.

This step is quicker, but you may have to pay legal costs.

But get photos and a report done - that is the first step.

I realise that this is stressful but hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If he repairs the damages within 14 days, does everything become fine?

Our whole family suffered quite a lot because of the bad conditions of this house we often had to visit the doctors and he was quite curious about our continuously appointments and the doctor stated that its because of the poor dampness in your house that is causing your family breathing problems after showing him some photos.

No - you can still claim for past losses and dilapidations.

But you want the current problems fixed.

You can bring in all evidence about health etc if it goes to Court or the Chief Exec office comes back to you to further investiagate.

I realise this is stressful for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If I send you some photos would you be able to estimate how much we can claim against the landlord.

By the way we pay him £ 1375 every month which I think its too much and the conditions are very poor too.

I can't estimate as it is what a surveyor thinks about the damage.

A Court would consider what the real value would be and backdate it.

The Court would also consider medical effects and so on.

I have not see all the evidence so would be unfair to give a firm view.

I hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We couldn't find the chief executive officer so how can we contact him and what department shall we go for?

Just write to the Council and put for the Chief Executives Office.

You dont need his/her name.

Its the Office that investigates.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Could you please let us know if the property is not insured what could happen and something tells us this house isn't.

Its a legal requirement to have Landlord insurance.

As such the Council could prosecute the Landlord.

Please remember to rate my answer - thanks.

UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for your help but can I ask you question about immigration matter?

You can try but its not my area.

If its general I can help :)
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have the visa of Sole Representative category of one of foreign company since last 4 years and according to this if I stay here at least 2 years then if I full fill a any suitable place of JOB then I can apply to remain in u.k. so what is your advice that should I wait for one more year as after five year I can apply for indefinite stay as my foreign company is not in good position due to recession.

Thanks - this type of in depth question isn't my area (I know general) so it would be unfair of me to try to answer this - as it may be wrong............
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thank you very much...

Sorry..............

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice