12826847

A building contractor charged in exess of five hundred pounds

Customer Question

A building contractor charged in exess of five hundred pounds for tiling a bathroom in conjunction with a local authority grant.
The contract specified hacking off 11.5msq exsisting tiles and making good to walls and plasterboard once stripped.Tiling said area using tiles supplied by me, The monies to be paid up front. The job has been completed ,however the tiling was directly
on to the exting tiles with none of the said hacking off done. Question Can I claim from this contract the cost of the hacking off as I feel they are in breach of contract.
Has there been no hacking off at all? I note there's a specific msq?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jomo 1972 . No jackinf was done at all

If the contract specifically demands that hacking take place and it has not then you do have the basis of a claim against him.

In some contracts though it is though safer to tile directly onto tiles so its going to be difficult to argue that this work fails the sufficient care and skill test.

However, on the face of it, you don't need to here. You can just rely upon the terms of the contract.

Hope this helps.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

apologise for cutting off yesterday evening [family called]. Information re hacking off was from a quotation running in conjunction with a local authority grant [disabled persons] . The costs quoted and charged
were inclusive of the said hacking off, as they did not carry out that in its entirity does this indicate breach of contract /what action if any would be advisable

So the council paid for this not you?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No the council pay`s only for the area around the shower /or appliance being fitted and the remainder is paid for by the client /up front .this is the clients choice because the tiles paid for by the authority are small ,plain

white.

If this was work that you paid for then you are entitled to what you agreed.

As I've said above, you can rely on the contract if that was a specific term.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jomo 1972, Thanl you. What course of action would you reccomend

to obtain reasonable reccompense

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jomo 1972, Thank you. What course of action would you reccomend

to obtain reasonable reccompense

If he will not offer any resolution at all then you can instruct another person to put right the fault and sue for the cost.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jomo1972. Thank you very much for your time and patience with a

person with very limited skill with a computor

No problem.

All the best