29905560

I attend a local church, the lights during a service are causing

Customer Question

I attend a local church, the lights during a service are causing medical fits/dos.

I have asked for minor chnages to be made, so I can continue to attend services, but they are refusing to.

Is this in breach of the disability discrimination act
Hello and thank you for your question, which I will be happy to assist you with. Please let me know what adjustments have you asked for?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

At the moment they have set of coloured spot lights which flash and change colour at the same time of a train of lights, also 4 box spot light flash quickly and spot lights turning.

I have asked for the boxes light to be turned of or stay on and the spot light to be permantly in one position

Why have they refused - are these lights specifically needed for anything?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

They have refused for cosmetic reasons no they are not needed apart for the pretty affect

The church, as a provider of goods, facilities or services, will have a duty to ensure that they do not discriminate against people because of a protected characteristic, including disability.

The following is from an official source:

"The Equality Act does not specify what factors should be taken into account when considering whether or not a step is a 'reasonable' one to take. The Code of Practice states that what is reasonable will vary according to:
• the type of service being provided
• the nature of the service provider, and its size and resources
• how the person's disability affects them in that context.

The Code also says that some of the following factors might be taken into account when considering what is reasonable:
• how effective any steps would be in overcoming the difficulty that disabled people face in accessing the services
• how practicable it would be for the service provider to take these steps
• how disruptive taking the steps would be
• the financial and other costs of making the adjustment
• the extent of the service provider's financial and other resources
• the amount of any resources already spent on making adjustments
• the availability of financial or other assistance."

The church can defend their failure to make RAs if they can objectively justify this or if they can show that the changes fundamentally alter the nature of the service they offer.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you