UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

My company has been sent a letter alledging that we have

Customer Question

My company has been sent a letter alledging that we have violated their copyright by displaying a small product image on a website. They have issued an invoice for use of the photo for £650+vat which seems excessive. How should I respond?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.
Have you used it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, we displayed the product image on a web page for something like 3 months. The web page has had hardly any traffic and the product image is small. I did not realise the image belonged to them (they claim it does) I thought the photo would have been taken by the company that manufactures the product (a first aid kit).

You should write back and apologise.
I assume you have removed it.
But you need to say how did they get the figure of £650?
They cant just pick a figure - they need to justify it.
There must be some loss.
No loss - no value.
If it went to Court the Judge would want to know the same thing.
So dont be bullied - ask them to quantify and detail their loss.
I hope this helps.
Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.
Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** good to know.

Yes, I have removed it.

Is there any obvious thing that you can think of that they would be able to say to justify the charge?

Would you be interested in representing our company if they still with to take this to court?

No I can't think of how they can justify it.
As it would be a small claim if it went to Court you wont need a Solicitor.
And they would only be able to claim very small legal fees.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?
UK-Justice