UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

A member of our not-for-profit Photographic Society sent a

Customer Question

A member of our not-for-profit Photographic Society sent a rude & quite abusive anonymous e-mail to a visiting judge following one of our club evenings. We asked the received to pass the internet header information from the e-mail back to us and by comparing it with member e-mails and log records on our own website, we have clearly identified the computer location concerned which is regularly used by only one of our members.

On asking the member concerned to explain his actions, he has accused us of contravening the Data Protection Act 1998. As we have not used any personal data in the analysis, I do not believe that we have.

Could somebody please confirm for us?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

I confirm you have not breached the Data Protection Act

However he is liable to an offence under the Communication Act if it was obscene or offensive.

But no, you have not breached the Act.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, it did - thank you; it reinforced my non-legal view that we are compliant. The piece of information that I'm missing is the on-liner that articulates "why?" in response to an accusation.

Is it because computer IP addresses are non-personal data and thus outside of the scope of the act?

Correct........................

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you; that helps very much.

Welcome