Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

i have been using my aunts field to graze a pony for 25 yrs.my

Customer Question

i have been using my aunts field to graze a pony for 25 yrs.my aunt has died and left no will. can i claim the field
Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
Hi thanks for your question I am afraid that In a word - No. To claim so called squatters rights you cannot be in occupation with the knowledge and consent of the owner so unless you used it and your aunt did not give you permission you have no claim to adverse possession. So unless you have some other claim you have no right to use the land and the new owner or the estate can ask you to leave.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i never asked for permission,i just put the pony in there. she couldnt see the pony from the house.never was discussed.

If you can seriously establish that you have been occupying the field for 25 years without consent you may be able to claim adverse possession but you would have to show that which could be difficult.