Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

i had conviction ON 18/12/2009 social security administration

Customer Question

i had conviction ON 18/12/2009
social security administration ACT 1992 S.111A(1A) & Disposal
Condition discharge 12MONTHS COST £100 MY QUESTION IS I WANT TO APPLY BRITISHCITIZENSHIP? I CAN APPLY OR I HAVE TO WAIT UNTIL 5YEARS?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

You have to wait 5 years.

This is because you have to be of good character.

With the conviction you are not.

You therefore need to wait 5 years.

I am sorry.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

but i am not went in jial or arested it just was conditional discharge 12months & £100 fine .why i have to wait 5years ? pleas can you give more detail

Because you need 5 years good character

Makes no difference whether you went to jail

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you still need help?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

Under Annexe D of the Immigration Rules (paragraph 3.3.1) - the caseworker who considers your application is allowed to disregard your conditional discharge so long as you do not have any other convictions. You will have to declare the conviction in your application but there is no reason to delay - you can make the application now if you wish.

Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
By the way - here's a link which confirms the information. Have a little look down at the table at the section about conditional discharges - you'll see that your conviction will not be a problem now:

http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britishcitizenship/eligibility/goodcharacter/?version=1

This is the relevant part:

"We may decide to ignore a single conviction for a minor offence if it resulted in a bind over, conditional discharge or small fine."