Senior Partner
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
18726264

a coleague at work wrote a letter about me to my employers,

Customer Question

a coleague at work wrote a letter about me to my employers, in it she accused me of drinking on duty theft and taking unpaid leave . none of this was true and after an investigation no evidence was found i complained to my employers that they should at the very least discpline this member of staff. they have refused to do this and i have since found out that my emloyers have shown the letter to other members of staff. can i sue this coleague for defamation of charachter and have my emloyers acted unlawfully
What was said exactly?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

in the letter she stated that i often drunk to excess while at work. after a day off i would turn up for work with a hangover. that i used staff tips for my own personal use .and that i booked in hours that i never actually worked. that i refused to give this member of staff time off when a member of her family was seriously ill. none of these statements was in anyway true forjomo1972

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

FOR JOMO 1972 i have sent further information but have not recieved reply

Expert:  Senior Partner replied 4 years ago.
If the letter is wholly untrue then yes you can certainly bring a claim against the employee for defamation and if your employer showed it to people then they are publishing the libel and you coudl threaten to sue them. They also owe you a general duty to you as employee not to behave in a way that breaches trust and confidence.

Their refusal to take action over what appears to be a very nasty piece of defamation could amount to constructive dismissal.

If you want to pursuse it I suggest you get a solicitor to write a letter requiring an apology and compensation
Senior Partner, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor with more than 30 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

should the letter be addressed to the employee or my employer thank you

Hi That is up to you but in my opinion if your employer has not only refused to take action but has shown the letter to other people then I would write to the employer as well but of course you risk a back lash by doing that.