Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

If two peoples have a joint saving account,can one person

Customer Question

If two peoples have a joint saving account,can one person withdraw total amount and nothing left for other person with out knowing the otherperson or with out other person signature.What can I do?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 4 years ago.

Hi there,

Unless when you opened the account and requested that both signatures are required to make a withdrawal, then it is possible for one party to make withdrawals from a joint account without a signature from the other or indeed without the other party knowing.

Please let me know if you require any further info.

Kind Regards

AL

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

What can I do now? Is there any thing I can do to get my half of the money back?

Could you give me a little bit of the background as to what has actually happened please?

AL

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was away for few weeks. My wife suffer with Dimentia. My son and my Daughter went with my wife to the bank and ask her to sign the papers to withdraw the total amount without consult me or even telling me.I am very upset,I do not know what to do now.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Is this a joint account with your wife?

How much did they take? Does the account have a banking mandate?

AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I had Joint account with my wife,The joint account now she has closed it. The amount of money is about hundred thousands pounds,the money is gone. I do not know about mandate,weather we had it or not.

Abdul

Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.

Can you confirm do you know your wife's current address?

Can you contact the bank as well and find out if there is a mandate and why they released the money with one signatory?

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ