Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

Hello I hope you can help with my motorcycle insurance policy

Customer Question

Hello I hope you can help with my motorcycle insurance policy problem.
I was contacted by Bennetts Insurance concerning a motorbike insurance policy payment in May of 2012.
I informed them that I had been with an alternative insurer for the past 3 years and had no idea they were still taking money from my account for the past 3 years.

I was previously insured through Bennetts during 2008/9 and during this time had a temporary change of address while our family homewas being worked on and then back to the family home address. I telephoned Bennetts to notify them of this change of address.
At start of policy for 2010 I insured with MCE and was not aware of monies being taken from my account by Bennetts for the premium for this year. Obviously my change of address had not been recorded by Bennetts as I never received any correspondence by post regarding the policy renewal. The account from which the money was taken was not visible by me for extended periods while I was working out of the UK for during these years.
This method of policy renewal appears to have happened again in May 2011 and 2012, this final renewal having been brought to my attention by the email I received requesting an additional premium fee. The additional premium was for a claim on a motorbike which Bennetts thought they were still insuring. I presume the email contact was because of the extra money Bennetts wanted me to pay and because I had not responded to the paper mail presumably still being sent to the address I was no longer at.
Regardless of the small print on the policy concerning automatic renewal, which I was not aware of, this method of policy renewal has meant me having policies with 2 insurers for the past 3 renewals.
I was informed during a telephone conversation back in May when I discovered the issue, that I will be refunded the premiums for the years when my policy was duplicated upon proof of alternative insurance arrangements.
I provided the required proof, and this was acknowledged by Bennetts on 11th July 2012 at which time they were forwarding the details to their clawbacks team.
The last time I contacted Bennetts about the length of time taken for the refund they could only say that;
“Unfortunately as advised previously, this is a process that can take a long period of time”
As it is now 7 months since their requests for information was satisfied and no sign of a refund I wish to seek advice as to what I can do regarding this issue.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Is there anything I can do to make Bennetts issue the refund in a reasonably quick timescale. I think 7 months from providing them with the info they asked for should be enough time for them to respond even if they, as a broker, have to deal with the actual insurer.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I have nine motorcycles. I once tried to
insure them through Bennetts, or at least, I tried to get a quote. I gave up.

They seem to spend all their money on
advertising.

Do not try to deal with this on the telephone
because all you will get is someone in a call centre who hasn't got a clue what
day of the week it is.

Put everything in writing on good
old-fashioned paper.

There is no reason why this should not have
been sorted out in two weeks.

I would write to them (send it by first class
post and recorded delivery) and tell them that unless you get your refund by a
particular date (I would give them 14 days) you reserve the right, at your
discretion, to either issue small claims court proceedings against them without
further notice or refer the matter to the Financial Ombudsman.

Small claims court is quicker the Ombudsman
is free but much slower. To be frank, I would actually report the matter to the
Ombudsman now and simply tell Bennetts that you have done that.

If they pay up, you can always write to the
Ombudsman withdrawing your complaint.

Please don't forget to positively rate my answer service (even if it was
not what you wanted to hear) and I will follow up any further points you raise
for free. If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and
I get 0 for my time. If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only
helped a little, please ask me for further info before rating me negatively
otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am currently working out of the country and will not be back until mid March but I will email Bennetts in the meantime and if nothing happens before I return I will send the letter as you suggested.

Even though I possibly should have noticed the money being withdrawn (I had no access to see the account while I was working away) and the fact that their renewal is automatic I really would think they would try to obtain some acknowledgement that the insured party knows they have been renewed!

Thanks for the advice.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I hope you get sorted. Incidentally I use Peter James Insurance (google will find them). His service is light years ahead.

He is the James from Footman James but now off on his own.

Goodluck.

L

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

I have 2 road bike at the moment (+ 2 track bikes) and have previously insured with Footman James so will give Peter James a try. It's never easy to get multibike quotes, certainly not online!

Keith

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Dont go online, speak to a human at PJ!

My premium dropped by over £100 with PJ.

I was with FJ before that and Carole Nash before that

I took 2 bikes 250 bikes off last week and put another one , 750 outfit, on. No charge. Docs arrived following day!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That sounds great I'll give them a try, policy due in a few months.

Thanks again.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
:-)