12826847

we own atimeshare.How do we stand if we cancel

Customer Question

-Could you explain your situation a little more?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

we have owned for about ten years with a total of twenty five. We cannot afford the continual rise in maintainence, also did not realise that the

is millstone passes on to family.The timeshare is with Le meridien Limassol.We were told at the time, that the maintainece had not gone up for long time, but has done as long as we have had it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
still need an answe to original question
The reason you are experiencing delay is that you relisted this which means it drops off my question list?

When did you buy?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We bought in 2001

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

jomo1972 bought in2001

Have you got any rights to return it back to the timeshare company in your deeds?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

FORJOMO1972 I cannot see anything to say that we can return the timeshare.Although a few years ago we requested to sell back to them.They replied that they had compiled a list of such members and could only buy when all inventory had been sold and they would keep us informed.We have never had any other communication regarding this matter.

You probably already know that timeshare is now a bad deal. The maintenance fees can spiral out of control at an alarming rate and they are hard to escape.

While many organisations offer a painless escape the truth is that there are really only three options and none of them are anything like painless.

The first is to sell to another consumer. That can happen sometimes and if it does then thats wonderful. However, demand for timeshare is at an all time low. Its quite unlikely you will find another consumer as this is really just a debt. Its difficult even to give these weeks away. You might try something like an Ebay listing. Or you could try an honest resale broker Do remember that from the 23 February 2011 though it is a criminal offence for a resale broker to take any money, for any purpose, from a seller until the sale has been completed.

The second is to hand the ownership back to the resort of the club. A small number of resorts will not offer their owners the right to terminate ownership at no cost or a small one. Commonly this is called an exit programme.

The third – and this seems the most popular – is simply to walk away and refuse to pay the annual fees. This is actually a surprisingly effective method although it is not painless. Generally the timeshare company will threaten to take defaulters to court. For the most part they do not. Sometimes when they do some owners have defended claims on the basis that there was a misrepresentation at the point of sale. Also it can be argued that the original contract is null and void as its outside of the jurisdiction. There is, however, a risk you would have to go to court over this.

Sorry this is probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to advise you truthfully.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

JOMO1972

The third option is what we thought, but not sure how we stood regarding legalities, you helped explain some of that. Thank you for your help regarding this matter Regards , Sue Stevenson

No problem. All the best. Please remember to rate my answer