UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I was served a notice of eviction on the 31st of jan2013.The

Customer Question

I was served a notice of eviction on the 31st of jan2013.The eviction date is 14th feb 2013.I was at the county court yesterday and applied for suspension of the possession warrant.The hearing for that is friday 8th feb.I have rent arrears of £2799.I am scared to defend myself because I know this is the only chance I have but there isn't enough time to get advice.I'm not sure what to say to present my case in the best possible light.I have a 15year old daughter and two sons living with me.My eldest son has just got back from Gambia this morning and he will help pay the arrears and help with future rent payments.i have managed to get £1400 together but I don't know if this will help.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

What is your current monthly rent?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£541

Ok. And what can you afford to pay?

And you have applied to stay the warrant yes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

£100 I can afford and yes I have applied to stay the warrant,have know idea what this actually means though.

As long as you can show the Judge that you can make the monthly repayments PLUS a sum off the arrears then the warrant will be suspended.

If you can NOT afford to pay the monthly rent then the warrant will not be suspended.

The rent is £541 plus as I understand it you can only pay £100 a month leaving a shortfall of £441 - if this is the case it wont be suspended.

But if it is the case you can pay £100 a month off the arrears, then the warrant is very likely to be suspended.

You need to show the Judge you can make payments.

I hope this helps you.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can afford rent and £100 arrears due to my son now being in paid employment.He has been a volunteer until now and I have supported him on his journey(which is why I am in this mess) Will this count for me as a change of circumstance?and last but not least,if I could borrow the whole amount from a friend would that make this whole situation go away or is it too late for that?

Its not too late to borrow, but dont do it if you cant afford it.

If you can afford rent plus £100 a month, that should be fine.

Just dont make things worse for yourself...........

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,I just don't want to blow my chance by not defending myself in the right way.

Sure, you will be fine with current plus £100 a month.............
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice