29905560

I travelled to Krakow last year and as a single traveller,

Customer Question

I travelled to Krakow last year and as a single traveller, paid a single supplement. However, on arriving at the hotel I was placed into a single room, specifically designed and fitted as a single room and could not have got another bed into the room. The hotel also clearly advertises single rooms on its website without indicating there are single supplements. The tour company has refused to refund the single supplement and I have copies of all correspondence. Do you consider that I have a claim for a refund of the single supplement?

I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours faithfully
David Specterman
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX it is my pleasure to be able to assist with your question today. Please let me know if you specifically booked a double room?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not specifically book a single room. Normally, when travelling single, you are given a twin or double and therefore, paying a single supplement is expected. I do not expect to pay a single supplement for a single room.

Your first point of reference should be the contract or agreement you signed with the booing agent or the hotel. That will determine your contractual rights and what you would have been expected to pay.

In relation to the single supplement charge then it is a common misconception that these are only levied on double or twin rooms that have a single occupant. Whilst that is the traditional position, hotels can charge this levy on single travellers regardless of what room they occupy because these charges are meant to cover the overall loss to the business by having a single traveller, such as less money spent in bars, restaurants, etc.

In reality, a hotel can charge you whatever they like as long as this has been made clear to you at a time before confirming the booking. There is no law that states a single traveller cannot be charged a single person's occupancy if they occupy a single rather than a double room. They can legally charge you this if they had identified these charges in advance of the booking and did not mislead you as to what you were being charged.

Please take a second to leave a positive rating as that is a very important part of our process. Your question will not close and I can continue providing further advice if necessary. Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply and I understand ully what you are saying. However, the hotel clearly markets single rooms on its website so I do not underststand how they can claim for loss of income at the bar or restaurant if they only expect one person to be staying in a single room. In that case, why bother having single rooms?

I fully understand your position but I must stress again that it is irrelevant what the hotel has charged you and the reasons behind it. Just as an example, they could have simply added a charge to cover the hotel manager's bar tab and if you were told of that in advance and agreed to pay for it then it would be perfectly legal even if you did not think it was far or reasonable for you to have to pay for that.

Similarly, the hotel could be marketing single rooms without a single supplement or have other rooms, be it singles or doubles, with a single supplement. It does not mean that all room bookings will have to be charged the same - there are various factors that will affect the rates or supplement and it could depend on the time of booking, the offers at the time, etc.
Experience: Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your reply and your assistance. I obviously will not get any redress from the tour company and still feel aggrieved but not worth spending more good money to chase. however, I am now considering more general correspondence with Newspapers to highlight this problem and see what happens.

That appears to be a sensible option, I myself would not advise legal action but that is not the only way to try and pursue this matter further.