UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

If a lecturor at university tells me to go watch a bollywood

Customer Question

If a lecturor at university tells me to go watch a bollywood movie at home instead of coming to class, can that be considered as a racist insult? or unlawful harrasment?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

How is it insulting?

What ethnic group do you belong to?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's insulting because a) i do not come from indian backgrounds b) even if i did, is he saying that all indians basically are useless and should just sit at home and watch bollywood movies because it's what they're best at.

I am arab.

The definition of something being racist is:

"A racial group means a group of persons defined by reference to race, colour, nationality (including citizenship) or ethnic or national origins."

If you think that the comments were based on your nationaility or ethnic group, then yes, this is an offence.

If it was not motivated by hostility based on the above then no, it is not racist.

So if it was said based on the fact that you are Arab then an offence has been committed and you should report this to the Police.

The Police can then investigate and prosecute where necessary.

An insult is not the same as making comments driven by racial hostility.

I hope this helps you.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice