UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

A few years ago I was wrongly accused of an assault on my Mother,

Customer Question

A few years ago I was wrongly accused of an assault on my Mother, whom I cared for. I was arrested, not charged and bailed. The matter was later proved to be false. On of the interviewing officers said that in his opinion I should not have been arrested. A neighbour saw me leaving with the two arresting officers and tried to find out from another neighbour what it was all about. The following day a leading member of the Church that I go to was parked outside the neighbour's house. The person from my Church has spread a rumour that I assaulted my Mother and there are people who now no longer speak to me. I am now thinking I have to move to avoid the gossip. What can I do?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

What is it you want to be able to achieve?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I would like to clear my otherwise good name.

What the person can say is that you were arrested for assault because that is factual.

But what they can not say is that you actually assaulted your mother,

This is something that you could sue for and also seek an injunction,

However given the nature of what has been said you would need to issue proceedings in the high court and would be a jury trial.

This is because of court rules in relation to such a claim. You would be able to claim damaged and an injunction to stop this person from spreading this falsehood.

You would need a solicitor to draft proceedings and present your argument in court, the cost for this if contested would be around £10,000

If you win you could get costs back. This is why normally rich and famous people issue proceedings.

I realise given the costs this may not be the answer you want, but legally this is your position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am aware that it is likely to cost money. Is the £10,000 the final or starting point? How long would such a case take? What level of Barrister would it be necessary to employ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still waiting for a response to my final question.

£10k is estimated legal costs to completion.

You are looking at £1k to start the case.

Your Solicitor would find a Barrister for you for this.

I hope this clarifies.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice