Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitors 2 years plus PQE
13113900

I resigned from my previous job as i was being bullied by

Customer Question

Hi, i resigned from my previous job as i was being bullied by the new manager. The company had paid for my study and as I left within a year I was asked to repay these fees. From my last paycheck i made a contribution to these fees, and signed an agreement that i would pay £250 a month untill the debt had been repaid. I have been out of work and as such have only just got a job. I proposed I make a monthly contribution of £20, however they are threatening the debt must be repaid back in full within two weeks. a total of £800. Also the company claimed back the VAT on my invoices, so infact the debt should have been reduced by 20%. Making the total debt owed £840, of that I have already paid £250, so they are threatening me on the grounds of £590.
Please help.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question and welcome to Just Answer.
Are they saying you owe £840 but actually you only owe £590?
AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that's correct
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.
I would suggest you write to them in the following terms:
1. Say you wholly dispute the sums they are claiming. Explain that they have not calculated it correctly;
2. Tell them that you deem this kind of behaviour unlawful harassment of a debtor under S,40 of the Administration of Justice Act 1970 and if they make continued incorrect threats to you, you reserve the right to report it to the police;
3. Say you are happy to enter into sensible dialogue for staged repayment, but should you choose to bring a tribunal claim you reserve the right to bring the employers conduct to the attention of the tribunal.
Would you bring a tribunal claim?
AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
if I had a strong enough case then yes.
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.
Are you prepared to settle the debt with them, you just time to pay?
AJ
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
would prefer not to pay, however are in the process of buying a house and am concerned if I do not pay then this will affect my credit history. I am more than happy to pay £20 a month untill it is repaid in full to avoid it affecting my credit history
Expert:  Alex J. replied 4 years ago.
I would write to them as I have outlined above. If you want them to accept £20 per month you will have to offer a gesture of goodwill say a £100 lump sum if you can.
Then go and see a local about an employment claim asap. Normally you will only have six months to bring them. It may be the case that you should avoid this payment on the basis that you were "forced out".
If you are buying you need to avoid at all cost the possibility of them starting proceedings against you.
AJ