12826847

My grandfather and grandmother set up a trust together in

Customer Question

My grandfather and grandmother set up a trust together in 2004. According to the trust application, both are settlors. Presumably, this also meant they were trustees. They also added their daughter, my mother, as additional trustee. The beneficiaries are myself and my mother, 50% each.
My grandmother passed away in 2006 presumably leaving my grandfather as sole settlor of the trust and that the remaining trustees are my grandfather and my mother
However, due to drastic changes in family relations, my grandfather no longer communicates with my mother and has recently sent to Zurich the deed of removing her allocation as trustee and replacing her with his son as replacement trustee.
Rather confusingly, the deed was returned to my grandfather as unaccepted due to him no longer being a trustee and therefore no longer able to act as settlor for the trust.
Generally, then, how is it that a settlor, whether the sole settlor or joint, be removed from a trust, particularly so that that settlor has not agreed to being removed in the first place?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a specific question?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Generally, how can a settlor of a trust, whether the sole settlor or joint, be removed from a trust, particularly that that settlor has not agreed to being removed in the first place?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Can I have details of the trust please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It's Zurich's Discounted Gift Trust

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I am afraid that means nothing. I need to know why it was set up and what it does.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The DGT was set up in view of reducing the inheritance tax from my grandparents' estate. Two investment bonds were added to it to the value of the then IHT threshold (£280k). Does this help...?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Relist: Other Solicitor (touchwoodsden) is back online

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
This question has ben duplicated. I shall continue on the other thread
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please could admin close this question and the duplicated ones. Thanks
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Will do.