UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I sold my car as a private seller, the lady came to me twice

Customer Question

I sold my car as a private seller, the lady came to me twice looked on the car properly checked everything was fine, her partner test drive the car came back told me everything was fine just pointed a couple of things that they didn't like and they said they will call me back. They left and 2 hours after called me to tell me they coming back to make me an offer, I agreed. The third time they came checked the car again, called the garage to found out how much it will cost them to fix the stuff they weren't happy about, they finally came up with a price. I put my car up for £2800, they offered me £2200 I didn't agree after talking for long we finally decided to buy it for £2250. We sign all the paper and everyone was happy after.after living she intact me 2 hours after telling me there was a faulty one car that she wanted her money back. I told her is not possile because u bought u checked the car 3 times test drive the car everything was fine now your calling me to say u want ur money back,am a private seller and the car was bought has describe. Seens then they've been calling me and sending lots of messages.now today I received a letter from them telling they want there money back within the next 7 working day. What do I do please I want to know my rights pls
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

How old is the car and how many miles?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is a 2001 Mercedes c class and the mileage is 115220.

When buying from private sellers the motto is always buyer beware.

In terms of cars if it went to court the Judge would consider the price paid, together wit age of the car and miles.

In this case you have a car with over 100k miles and 12 years old.

As such if the matter went to Court the Judge would have regard to this fact together with the fact they viewed the car twice. The buyer had more than an ample opportunity to examine it.

Bearing all this in mind and the age of the car, miles driven and price paid, I do not think that there would be a valid claim for a refund.

As such you are entitled to refuse.

If this did go to Court and assuming you lost, you would just have to refund (with the car coming back) pay Court fees of about £150.

There are no hefty legal costs.

As such based on what you have said then I think the price paid is reasonable and the buyer had ample opportunity to check the car.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you know what step do I take from here to resolve this situation please?
You should write back and say that given the age, miles and price paid for the vehicle and the fact they inspected it several times - you will not be refunding them.

I hope that helps.

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice