UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

What details must a company provide in a monthly statement

Customer Question

What details must a company provide in a monthly statement prior to a direct debit? Do they have to provide a fully itemised statement?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My daughter has taken up a photography franchise. The monthly bills from the parent company include the monthly franchise bill together with other charges for services and products supplied. The statement she receives never includes full details of the charges so she never knows exactly how much will be debited from her bank account. I feel that there must be some legal requirement for a fully itemised statement to be provided in good time before the account is debited.

What is in the franchise about invoices and details to provide?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have the franchise documents with me at the moment. I was hoping to get some background information for my daughter. I assumed that there would be a general legal requirement governing the issue of monthly statements prior to direct debit.

Legal requirement no.

However there would be a contractual requirement.

You need to check the franchise and see what it says in terms of documenting fees etc.

The normal rule is that the contract governs - so the detail will be in that.

However that is not to say that your daughter can not ask for a breakdown - she of course can.

They would be expected to provide a breakdown of all charges that have been applied.

But is this a legal requirement before the DD is taken - no.

It is a contractual right and the only legal requirement comes when asking for a breakdown.

But check the franchise as the answer may be in the detail.

Failing that she can ask for a detailed breakdown - that they can not refuse.

I hope this helps you.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you very much for your advice. It was very helpful. I passed the information on to my daughter and she now feels more confident about taking the matter further with her franchise company. They have been reluctant to provide her with the full details of her direct debit payments and have even tried to charge her for the information. Your advice about checking her original agreement was very helpful. I can't believe that we failed to think of that ourselves!!

Mant thanks,

Christine Whittle

Great