Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

We are in direct line of fire from HS2 in Staffordshire and

Customer Question

We are in direct line of fire from HS2 in Staffordshire and have received a letter warning of possible compulsory purchase. At what point do we involve a solictor and surveyor - we have already had valuation done.
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

Are you intending to try and oppose the CPO or are you just going to negotiate/argue over valuation?

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

at this stage neither as the notice arrived only one week ago. We just need general advice/

Max Lowry :

Okay - well, there is no reason you shouldn't instruct a solicitor now then to review the notice and advise you accordingly.

Max Lowry :

If you're struggling to find one capable of doing this, then I'd suggest you contact the Law Society, who would be able to find you somebody suitable in your area. Their website is www.lawsociety.org.uk/

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

We cannot find one in stafford who has had the relevant experience in cpos

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

where do we look

Max Lowry :

Yes, - try the law society - they will be able to help as they have a special director of all practitioners and their preferred types of work.

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

what about the survey when should that take place.

Max Lowry :

They valuation?

Max Lowry :

Oh, the survey by the HS2 contractors?

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

we have had two valuationd but nothing in writing and no survey we were advised that both would be necessary

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

Not the HS2 valuors as HS2 is not yet involved other than to inform us of the preferred route in 2016 when royal assent is given

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

We are trying to get all our ducks in a row as at 73 we are some aged to have to deal with the loss of our home of 30 years.

Max Lowry :

Okay - so what do you need/want to know from me on this?

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

we need to know if and when a chartered surveyor should be involved

Max Lowry :

No, I don't see why you need to instruct a surveyor. They will need to value your land - this is all that they will need to do, and make you an offer for it. They might instruct a surveyor to look at your property etc. to assess condition and best way to demolish etc, but that's a matter for them, not you.

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

sorry but HS2 says residential owner occupiers could expect to receive the unblightedopen market value of their property. We were advised that this applied to the value on the day before the announcement of the preferred route and that both an estate agents valuation plus a surveyors report were adviseable

Max Lowry :

That will be in connection with valuation. It's the same point they're making, to help you understand the proper value that you're entitled to. An estate agents value on the unlighted land value is what you're looking for.

JACUSTOMER-v3604cj2- :

thank you

Max Lowry :

Why rated poor service?

Max Lowry :

Is your home to be demolished?

Max Lowry :

Hello - I need to know if your home is to be demolished? It's important to the answer?