UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007

Customer Question

We have a tenant who has defaulted on renting our annexe about £500pm and has not paid since October and even though Estate Agent is 'evidently' going through legal process I have been told that I shouldn't expect any money [electricity hasn't been paid since June 2012] until April at the earliest and that I shall have to sue for most of the money as well any additional legal costs. This was supposed to supplement my meagre pension as I lost most funds through Equitable Life. Now it looks as though I shall end up with huge debts. Is there anything else I can do?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

What type of tenancy do they have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Assured Shorthold Tenancy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Assured Shorthold tenancy

Does the tenant have any assets?

Have proceedings for possession been issued?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Does the tenant have any assets? I don't know but as she is 20 and lost her job in October probably not a lot though I beleive that she is working now. Though still not paying any rent or anything at all.

Yes 'proceeding for possession' have been issued and I understand that agent has organised eviction notice [ but is 'evasive']. But the agent told me on Thursday that the tenant is still likely to be in the apartment for another month or two!!

Yes once you have a possession order then that takes 4-6 weeks before it gets into Court and even when you get possession it takes another 4-6 weeks to get an eviction order.

Is there anything else you can do - sadly no.

This is because all you can do is issue proceedings for possession.

Legally there is nothing else you can do.

Once you get a possession order you can get Judgement for any arrears.

But then you can only enforce those arrears once you know where the tenant goes.

I know this is unfair, but I sad to say this is the legal system.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after but unless the tenant has any assets in terms of bank accounts or property, then this is the legal position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.