UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

I have just recieved an invoice for a renewal of my website

Customer Question

I have just recieved an invoice for a renewal of my website hosting (on 08/02/2013) running from 10/01/2013 to the following January. In the past they have always asked me before doing anything. I've just replied stating I don't want the renewal, but can they force me to accept it and demand payment?

Regards,

Oliver
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Is there a contract or anything signed?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No I just get Invoiced for seperate bits of work and renewals. I've also just found this clause on their terms and conditions which states:-

19. Renewal of Hosting is due on a yearly basis. The date of renewal will be annually from the date the website was ordered by the Client. The Hosting will not be renewed if Discover Websites cannot contact the Client or the Client requests for Discover Websites to not host this site.

Anywhere in the contract does it says it auto renews?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There are also these clauses:-

20. The Hosting renewal charge must be received within 10 days of the Hosting expiry date.

Discover Websites reserve the right to deactivate any website where the Hosting has expired and the Client has not paid the renewal charge. There will be an admin fee set by Discover Websites for reactivating the website/Hosting.

Discover Websites may provide an agrred period of free hosting providing the client pays their deposit payment within 7 days. If the deposit payment is not received within 7 days then Discover Websites reserve the right to charge the relevant fee for this period of hosting of the clients website.

If a period of free hosting is provided and the Client wishes to move hosting provider or cease hosting with Discover Websites within 3 years of the website live date the annual fee for hosting will become due.24.

Discover Websites charges hosting annually in advance to provide the most cost effective service. Our monthly hosting service can be used but is calculated at twice the rate of the annual cost, eg £72 annual hosting would cost £12 per month equating to £144 per year. Part months are charged as 1 month eg hosting commencing 10 January and moving on 25 March would be 3 months.

No they can not force you.

The contract says they charge for hosting in advance.

Nowhere does it say that they will automatically renew unless cancelled.

That means that you are not bound to pay the advance fee.

If they try and make you ask which term they are relying on in the contract.

From what you have provided I can see no clause that says they will automatically renew unless cancelled.

So no - you are not bound to pay this amount.

Do not be bullied.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes it put my mind at rest so I could relax over the weekend, and as it turned out they were'nt trying to swindle me. They just accepted my response and agreed to shut down the website I no longer needed.

I just preferred to get my retaliation ready in advance so I could feel safe.

Many thanks for being there when I needed you!

Oliver

Great