How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34035
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

i have been divorced from my ex husband for several months. however

Customer Question

i have been divorced from my ex husband for several months.
however the financial matters regarding our relationship have as yet not been settled.
this was due to me pushing for the divorce before the financial isues were dealt with.
we were dealing with these issues through mediation.
my ex partner has now re located to another area of the country he has financial problems and i fear that i will not hear from him anytime soon,which will make any further mediation talks impossible.
i am anxious to resolve the financial matters and move on.
there is a mortgaged property in my sole name, also two children aged 8 and 13.
i have several pension schemes and i am employed where as he is not.
my ex partner contributes nothing toward any property or our childrens upbringing.
there is no capital as any equity and pension schemes are negated by debts.
he has stated he requires a financial settlement but has been advised by the mediators that due to the facts i have stated there is no settlement of monies to be made.

could you please advise me where i stand and how i go about resolving this issue.

many thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
What assets (if any) are there in joint names?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Claire, Thanks for your prompt. There are no assets in joint names. The house is in my sole name.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
In that case the question is what YOU wish to do.
You can do nothing - if he makes no claim or remarries then that ends the matter.
If you are worried about the risk of a future claim then you can force the issue by applying to the court for the financial issues to be dealt with which will lock you into a court timetable leading to a final clean break order dismissing all claims you have against each other
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If this were to go to Court how much would this cost me ? I'm not sure how he can claim as I've previously mentioned.


I look forward to hearing from you.

Expert:  Clare replied 4 years ago.
He has a claim by virtue of his marriage to you.
At present there are no available assets against which he could make a claim - but in 10 years time the position could be different - and unless he has remarried his claim would still exist.
The Court fee for making the application is £240 - so if you do it yourself then that is the extent of the cost (apart form time off work etc)

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice