UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

can a person be charged for a service even if they have not

Customer Question

can a person be charged for a service even if they have not ageed to in writing or verbuly if the service has been put into action without my knowledge?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

forjomo1972 talk talk say that i owe them money for a service that i did not request or sign or verbally agree to.can they do this?they have threatened to send this to a collection agency.i will not pay for something i didn't ask for,even though they implemented a different contract without my knowledge.surely i am within my rights to refuse to pay for that service.

No you are not liable.

If you did not agree in writing or verbally then you can not be charged.

There is no contract

They must have your agreement.

I hope this helps

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

forjomo1972 if the collection agency tries to obtain this debt,as a point of law,how do i respond to them?for as far as they are concerned it is a debt.

It's contract law. No contact no debt.

If the debt is in dispute the can try and collect because they would be in breach of the office of fair trading guidance on debt collection

Please see

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/OFT664Rev.pdf

I hope this helps

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

forjomo1972 please read your previous response to clarify........the can try and collect? thank you, XXXXX XXXXX you have been very helpful,being severly disabled this stress is effecting my health and wellbeing

If the debt is in dispute then no they can not try and collect.

It's against oft guidelines

I hope this gels

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

for jomo1972 thank you ever so much for your help and guidence during this traumatic situation,regards,paul

Welcome.

Please remember to give my answer a great rating

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice