12826847

I bought a flat about 3 months ago in my sole name and Im

Customer Question

I bought a flat about 3 months ago in my sole name and I'm thinking about letting my girlfriend moved in. I am however worried about what, if any, rights she would have to the ownership of the property if we split up. She has offered to pay half the mortgage but I'm worried this will give her some legal entitlement? Thanks

You are absolutely right to be concerned.

If she pays the mortgage or makes substantial improvements to the house then she would have a claim in it.

If she moves in and makes no contribution then, unless you are mad enough to marry, she will not.

I do see the difficulty of effectively having her living there rent free but your concerns are well founded.

Sorry thats probably not the answer you wanted but it is the position that you have and I have a duty to give you truthful and accurate information even though its not what I want to say.

Hope this helps. Please rate my answer OK SERVICE or above and I can answer your related questions.
Also, you should bear in mind that if you have children she will have a claim upon you for the minority of the child unfortunately.

You could also consider a cohabitation agreement.