12826847

I had a written agreement with an agent regarding a shop to

Customer Question

I had a written agreement with an agent regarding a shop to rent.He gave me keys stating that the shop has been rented to me due to satisfactory references i provided and also said i should carry out the work in the shop.This i have completed the work,painting decorating and plastry the shop.The lease was supose to be 7years and was to be signed on the 4th of febuary but,the agent said the lease was not ready yet from the solicitor and she then gave me another letter stating that my rent will not count untill the lease is ready and that i should sign a 6months licence to ocupy the shop which will expire on the 1st of August.She want me to sign this licence.this i have refused because for me is a way of talking me to a 6months contract.This is not what we agreed on.please,what do i do as i have spent a lot of money to repair the shop.

Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Did you sign any lease before carrying out the work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No,I didn't sign any lease.the agent gave me permission and the keys to the shop to carry out the work as she prepares the lease with her solicitor.I was given 2weeks rent free so she said i should go ahead with the work while she get her solicitor to prepare the lease for me.Her letter to me was signed by her and it states 7years lease,4years rent review.

I have paid her 2months rent as well.This same letter was what i gave to my builder and to scottish power for energy supply to the shop

Did the agent put anything in writing?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes.I explained that to you in the 1st page
Forgive me, I meant can you tell me the wording of the letter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is like i am repeating the same thing. I am not satisfied because you did not answer any of my question
I understand you have an agent letter.

I need to know the exact wording they used. It is vital to your case.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we are pleased to confirm that the shop has been let to you pending satisfactory references.Please find enclosed copy of the memorandum in regards to this property.
please be advised that the lease will commence on 4 of febuary 2013 and the landlord have granted you access to do the work.please,come to our office to collect the keys.this was the letter from the agent.

That clarifies. What is it you want to achieve?