Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

Hi I thought I had finised paying my Solicitor and made a final

Customer Question

Hi I thought I had finised paying my Solicitor and made a final payment for my divorce which took forever although no one was contesting, now two years down the line no other communication I get a woping bill of nearly £3500 £1500 being interst I did not even know I owed them the money I have not changed my address or phone number they just say there accounts dept have been lax well I cannot afford this my circumstances have not changed what do I do.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Is there any dispute that you owe this money?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes as when I got the last bill I questioned it we came to a figure which was the sale of my car he agreed but disagrees now , also the interest I did not know I owed the money but they have been putting interest on this for two years, I have not been hiding infact I have been in to the solicitors with my mum twice for her will and paid her bill so I certainly was not aware of the outstanding money I could offer £10 a month as I really am broke but it will take 25 yr=ears to pay off.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Have they ever sent you a bill for this? I dont understand what the car has to do with it. Please explain.

So you have been in between about other things and they havent mentioned this?

Have you taken this up with whoever wrote to you this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi yes I have been into the accounts dept to pay for mums new will and took mum to write the wil at the same firm but different solicitor still have same address I had to sell the car to raise the money to pay Solicitors it is all I had at the time which he knew my ex husband left me in alot of debt £37000 which I had to sell my home or go bankrupt he knew all this and how my mum helped to keep me even though I work fulltime. He never even got me costs at court!!! It was an utter farce he made me write a will when I had already got one and he his letter he freely admits he knew how ill this had made me. He said that this was all in my favour know all that interest should never be I just want it all this worry to go away

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I assume that
their accounts department being lax, means that the accounts department did not
send the bill. In that case, they are most certainly not allowed to charge
interest.

I would raise this
as a formal complaint with the firm's Complaints Partner, I would tell
them that they are not eligible for the interest and, in view of the two-year
delay, you want them to give you time to pay at £X per month, failing which,
you will simply refer the matter to the Legal Complaints Service at the
Solicitors Regulation Authority as a breach of the service standard which you
could reasonably be expected to receive.

Trust me,
solicitors do not want complaints made to the LCS. I know of one firm which had
one similar to this and they were actually told to write the bill off and pay
the client compensation! Of course, I cannot guarantee that will happen. The
LCS do have those powers

Can I help
further?

Please bear with me today because I
will be online and off-line with clients and other users and travelling

Please don't forget to positively rate
my answer service (even if it was not what you wanted to hear) and I will
follow up any further points you raise for free. If you don't rate it
positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is
imperative that you give my answer a positive rating. It doesn't give me "a pat
on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you
expected more or it only helped a little, please ask me for further info before
rating me negatively otherwise I don't get paid at all for my time and answer.

The thread remains open.

Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience: PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you I will take yur advice, if I need to come back to you how do I get in touch. You have put my mind at ease for the moment .

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

Glad to help. The thread remains open so just post on here. It then pops into my inbox.

Please don't forget to positively rate