UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

i left a business which i was a partner with two other people

Customer Question

i left a business which i was a partner with two other people ,i left over to years ago which i walked away with nothing they had all the contents of the garage and recovery trucks since then they have sold two trucks and now have a bill from the inviroment dept which they are passing on to me. how do i stand in this problem please as im waiting to hear from them
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Do you have any form of written agreement?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

none we all worked together i was the only one who did the paper work for inviroment every year i notified them when i left and who to contact if the needed information afterwards but they said im still responceable

Was it a Ltd company?

Were you named on a licence from the Environmental licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes and one other

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not a ltd sorry

So I am clear - you are named on the Environemnt licence?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes im named on envioroment licence plus one other

In the absence of anything in writing with your other partner(s) and on the basis that you did not remove yourself from the Environment Licence then yes you are liable.

This is because you are named on the licence and until you are removed you are personally liable.

If you had a written agreement by your ex partner to say that they would be liable for any costs - this would cover you.

But as you have no written agreement and you did not take yourself off the licence both you and your partner and joint and severally liable for the debt.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you are after but based on what you have said, this is the legal position.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

if i cannot afford to take my name of the licence which is £5,000 and the partners are 100% sure they are not paying it even though i informed the enviorment ,which i made sure evey thing was up to date before i left im still resonsable then even though im not thier

Yes you are responsible.

But you should have had a written agreement that said they indemnified you against any cost.

But you did not.

That makes you liable.

I am very sorry.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

so the best i can do is wait for the outcome if i cant solve it though the courts ill have to declaire myself bankrupt which i realy dont want to do but i might not have any option

I am sorry yes.

As I said I know its not the answer you want, but the legal answer.