13262538

Recently we went on holiday to China leaving our 15 year old

Customer Question

Recently we went on holiday to China leaving our 15 year old daughter at home but with phone numbers to contact us abroad and to contact a close friend at home. The neighbours were informed also. Our daughter accidentally revealed to the School that her parents were abroad. The school did not attempt to contact us or our friend on the phone but went straight to the police and social services. Were they acting correctly as far as the law is concerned?
Thanks for using JustAnswer. My name is Claire, I will do whatever I can to answer your question
I am afraid that the school did indeed act correctly given that your daughter is under 16 and had been left on her own rather than in the direct care of friends
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Claire

my question is slightly different: were they correct to contact the police and social services immediately or should they have attempted to contact us first?

My apologies for missing that
I am afraid that in the aftermath of baby P protocols have become very strict and the school had no choice but to take the action they did without any prior attempt to contact you
Claire