UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

We recently had an idea to puchase some land to create a parking

Customer Question

We recently had an idea to puchase some land to create a parking space near our house and we asked a local surveyor for advice. Advice we got little of, but the land owner wanted £15,000 and our surveyor suggested we see if they would be willing to pay £10,000 dependant on planning permission.

We sais ok lets try that, but in the meantime we had our banks surveyor over and he said that the land was not worth that amount and advised us not to go ahead. While we were considering this. Our surveyor agreed terms with the land owner over and above what we told him to try. I.E. he agreed that we would also pay the vendor's legal fees.

We did not find out about this until a week later when we received aletter from the surveyor enclosing his bill and he also said that he had submitted a planning application even though we had asked to see all paperwork prior to a submission be made.

Now we just want out, but we are worried that the land owner might be able to sue us for breach of contract. Could he do this even if additional terms were agreed and we have not signed anything or been in contact with the vendor since the surveyor made the deal?

The surveyor is also as it now turns out and old friend of the land owner.
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

So no contracts have been exchanged at all?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No contracts no. All weve had is a letter from the surveyor saying that he and the owner agreed terms. I.E we'd pay £10,000 for the land if planning permission was approved and an aditional clause that we'd pay the owners legal fees, which we did not mention, agree to or know anything about untill we received a letter from the surveyor.

Thanks,

Until contracts are exchanged then either party can pull out.

There is no penalty for either party, if there has been no signed contract, no contracts exchanged then either party can pull out.

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.