UK-Justice
UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience:  Called to the Bar in 2007
41133288

What is the minimum legal width of a neighbours right of way

Customer Question

What is the minimum legal width of a neighbour's right of way across one's
back yard in England ?
Expert:  UK-Justice replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for your question, I will do whatever I can to help you. Please remember to rate my answer SMILEY FACE OR ABOVE.

Minimum 600mm or 2 feet.

This is assuming it is pedestrian and not vehicle of course!

I hope this helps.

Please remember to click *** OK SERVICE *** or above so that I am credited for my time. The question does not close and you can ask follow ups.

Important: If you feel the need to rate as one of the lower two scores, it counts as negative feedback so please reply to me via the REPLY with any further questions you may have. I will be happy to assist you further.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much, My neighbour has recently aquired a mobility scooter.

Am I required to provide him with a wider path.?

He wants me to re~ tarmac the whole of my yard, and I don't want to !!

In that case yes, because this is non pedestrian.

You only need a reasonable width - that is to accommodate the scooter.

But you are not required to re-tarmac the yard.

It is a matter for your neighbour if he gets a scooter. Because he does, does not mean you have to provide a different surface!

UK-Justice, Barrister
Experience: Called to the Bar in 2007
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much indeed, Dereka.

Welcome
I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

UK-Justice
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for following up.
I'll be as brief as I can !
My cottage is mid-terrace, No 3, between No 1 [was 1 and 2] and No 4.
The right of way about which I sent my initial question runs across the back yard of No 1 in to and across
my yard, No 3. It then branches left to the back door of No 4, and right, down the side of my yard to the end,
where is situated a garden area belonging to No 4.
There are two gates, one to enter the yard of No1 and the other to go from there in to my yard, No 3. These
were always kept closed.
After the neighbour in No 4 started to use his mobility scooter, he began leaving the gates open.
No 1 often looks after dogs belonging to friends and likes to be able to let them out safely in her yard.
She put polite notes on both gates asking that they be kept closed to prevent dogs fouling my yard, or escaping
towards the road.
The day I contacted you No 4 had verbally attacked No1 and threatened her. She left me a phone message and I could tell that she was
tearful. He was going to report her to everyone you can think of ! Inland Revenue, Environmental Health, Social Services etc.
He also told her to tell me he wanted the moss removed from my yard and for it to be retarmaced.
I have arranged for someone to come and treat the moss, neither No 1 or I like to be in our yards at the moment.
Last Wednesday No 4 saw me walking down the road and beckoned me to cross over. He ranted on about No1.
He then said that if he killed one of the dogs with a stick, No 1 would have to explain it to the owners. He also said that he had
thought of putting excrement through her letter box.
We didn't like the sound of this and No 1 arranged for the Police to come round today and advise us. This they did. We
declined for the moment an offer for them to go and talk to him.
He says he has 'free acsess' but, if I may ask you another question, does this mean that we have to leave the gates open for him?
Our local Councillor has suggested that No 4 might like to pay to have electronic closures fitted to the gates.
Sorry I have written so much, please let me know what I owe you.
Many many thanks,
xxxxxx xxxxxx

No this does not mean the gates have to be left open.

They can be closed. Indeed you could lock the gates and provide him with a key and that would be acceptable.

I hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much once again.You have been a great help.

Dereka.

Welcome