Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

My next door neighbour wants to change an exsisting flat roof

My next door neighbour want's to change an exsisting flat roof garage, to a pitch roof garage. As the wall of the garage is on the boundary, The proposed tiles, guttering's and Facia boards will overhang my property by approx 160mm. As this space forms a pathway to access the rear of my property, which is less than 1 metres. What are my rights by law, and how can I prevent him from proceding?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm happy to help with your question today.

Have to lodged objections with the planning department?
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Sorry - that should be 'have you lodged objections?'
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok! did you recieve the answer sent in response.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

Under s.55 Town and Country Planning Act 1990 this is an alteration which requires planning permission.

Your neighbour will be in breach of planning regulations if he goes ahead with the overhang without the requisite permission.

You should lodge your objections to the proposal with the local planning office. If you miss the deadline the application will be considered in the absence of your objections.

The only way of stopping the work is by lodging objections setting out exactly why you oppose the development.

If your objections are accepted and planning permission is refused then your neighbour will not be able to go ahead with the work.

Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.

I am following up our conversation to see how you got on with the issue. If you need any further help then please let me know - remember I am a qualified UK Solicitor and able to help on most aspects of English Law. I am London based and usually able to respond to your query very quickly.

Alex Hughes