Max Lowry, Advocate
Experience:  LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
51031577

Our Neighbour has this week installed a security camera on

Customer Question

Our Neighbour has this week installed a security camera on the front of his property which covers the entrance to his property but as we have a shared area and use the same entrace as him we feel that this is an invasion of our privacy and that in this instance the camera should not be allowed. I am not sure as to who I should contact regarding this and do you think this is legal.
Expert:  Max Lowry replied 4 years ago.

Max Lowry :

Hi, welcome to Just Answer. I will help you with your question.

Max Lowry :

If the CCTV camera is being used to protect the neighbour's home, as opposed to spying on others, then it is likely to be allowed.

Max Lowry :

Private use of cameras to protect a home from burglary, for example, are excluded from regulation.

Max Lowry :

However, you can complain to the Information Commissioner if you feel the cameras are being unlawfully used, and the police if you feel that they're being used to cause harassment or alarm to you.

Max Lowry :

There is a useful factsheet from the information commissioners office here: http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/topic_specific_guides/cctv.aspx